Wednesday 17 October 2012

Hypo and hyper

World Diabetes Day is approaching and I am getting ready for my project!
It's a fairly simple one.Now , my first task is to get in touch with the Ti Diams association.


What's Ti Diams' ? 

It's an association( I would rather say community) where children with Type 1 diabetes get support for their additional needs because of their diabetes.


hile reading their blog, I discovered that there were two conditions that can happen to you.

1. HYPOGLYCEMIA
 a condition that occurs when your blood sugar (glucose) is too low.
Blood sugar below 70 mg/dL is considered low. Blood sugar at or below this level can harm you.
This can happen to anyone in general  since it occurs when : 
  • Your body's sugar (glucose) is used up too quickly
  • Glucose is released into the bloodstream too slowly
  • Too much insulin is released into the bloodstream
    2. Hyperglycemia 
    high blood glucose which is the condition that rises the most complications 
    This can happen due to :
    • If you have type 1, you may not have given yourself enough insulin.
    • If you have type 2, your body may have enough insulin, but it is not as effective as it should be.
    • You ate more than planned or exercised less than planned.
    • You have stress from an illness, such as a cold or flu.
    • You have other stress, such as family conflicts or school or dating problems.

    I especially find the last one interesting. 


    The more I blog, the more I realise that there are extremely good sites on diabetes and I hope that  by writing this blog.Even if the amount of detail isn't that great, the sources which I am displaying will give you a better idea of what diabetes is. 






No comments:

Post a Comment